Music Therapy Auditions
Applicants interested in admission to the Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Music Therapy degree program are required to pass a three-part audition process before beginning coursework:
Pre-selection Audition: Tuesday, December 18, 2018
A completed application form and a DVD containing the following should be received by the due date above:
- Auditionee singing a song and accompanying themselves on guitar OR piano.
- A 1-2 minute response to the question “Why I want to be a music therapist.”
On-Site Therapy Audition: Saturday, February 9, 2019
After being notified via email of passing the DVD pre-selection process, auditionees will be invited to an on-site audition and asked to show the following memorized repertoire:
- A recital-ready (classical) piece on their principal instrument
- A sung popular/contemporary song, accompanied on piano
- A sung folk or children’s song, accompanied on guitar
Please consult the application form for more details on the above audition requirements.
Music Therapy applicants living out of state or out of the U.S. may audition via Skype. Contact Dr. Hearns (firstname.lastname@example.org) to arrange for your Skype audition. Applicants residing in the state of Utah are expected to audition live.
On-Site Area Audition: Various dates determined by area, February, 2019
Potential music therapy majors who have been invited to the live audition must also audition on their major instrument for the studio faculty in each area. All applicants invited to the live audition must audition according to the requirements set forth by each area.
- Students with Voice, Guitar, Woodwind, or Brass as their major instrument will do their Area audition on Saturday, February 9.
- Students with Piano as their major instrument will do their Area audition on Saturday, February 9.
- Students with Strings or Harp as their major instrument will do their Area audition on Saturday, February 2.
- Students with Percussion as their major will do their Area audition on Saturday, February 9 or 23.
If travel distance or schedule conflicts prevent you from attending your area audition, you may submit a video recording for your area audition. Your area audition video only needs to include the recital-ready (classical) piece required for your music therapy audition. The music therapy portion of your audition must take place on campus unless you live out of state or out of the U.S. (See Skype audition information above). For those outside of Utah, fill out and submit your Recorded Audition Submission Form.
For specific area requirements and audition dates, please refer to the music Admissions page.