Practice Room Policies and Procedures
Practice room space in the Music Department is, and has been for many years, at a premium. In order to maximize access to practice room space for all music majors, the following updates to practice room policies are effective for the Spring 2018 semester:
- Music Department Classrooms will remain unlocked until11:30 p.m. The night watchman needs approximately 30 minutes before midnight (when their shift is over) to secure all of the classrooms. These classrooms may be used by current music majors for rehearsals and individualpractice. Classroom pianos may not to be used for individual practice, although they may be used for ensemblerehearsals. Please be courteous and use practice rooms for individual practice whenever possible, so as to allow group rehearsals to take place in the classrooms. to allow group rehearsals to take place intheclassrooms.
- The first week of each semester,pianomajors will be given priority in scheduling grand piano practice rooms. The fee schedule for piano majors for grand piano practice rooms is $200 for 20 hours
- The first week of each semester voice majors will be given priority in scheduling upright piano practice rooms. The fee schedule for upright piano practice rooms is $25 for 5 hours weekly.
- Beginning the second week of the semester, unscheduled grand piano practice room times will be available to voice majors for scheduling. The fee schedule for voice majors for grand piano practice rooms is $100 for 10 hours weekly.
- Beginning the second week of the semester, music majors and non-majors registered for private piano instruction may schedule practice in upright piano practice rooms. The fee schedule for upright piano practice rooms is $25 for 5 hours weekly.
- Beginning the 3rd week of the semester, instrumental music majors may sign up for upright piano practice rooms. The fee schedule for upright piano practice rooms is $25 for 5 hours weekly.
- Students who have paid for time in an upright piano practice room may use any vacant upright piano practice room. If the reservation holder belatedly appears, please relinquish the room.
- The USU Youth Conservatory uses six upright piano practice rooms on Mondays through Thursdays, 3:00-7:00 p.m. During the fourth week of the semester, the youth Conservatory will release any unscheduled times in five of these rooms, and released time will be made available to all music majors and students registered for piano instruction for practice room scheduling. The fee schedule for these rooms is $25 for 5 hours weekly.
In order to provide students with consistent access to practice rooms, students need to sign up at https://scheduling.usu.edu. The $25 fee for upright piano practice rooms is payable via PayPal, cash, or check made out to “USU Music Department.” Once payment is received online or in FAC 102, students will be given the combination code for access.
SPRING 2019 PRACTICE ROOM SCHEDULING will begin at 12:00 P.M., FRIDAY, JANUARY 4, 2019. In the interest of fairness and equal opportunity, ANY PRACTICE ROOM SCHEDULED PRIOR TO THAT TIME WILL BE CANCELLED.
- Go to scheduling.usu.edu and log in with your A# and strong password.
- Click on Create A Reservation
- Select the type of room you want (Instrumental or Piano/Vocal; Grand Piano scheduling is NOT online)
- Click the "Book Now" button
- Click the recurrence button to schedule the room for the same time/day(s) each week. Start date is August 27, 2018, end date December 14, 2018, Start Time 12:00 AM and End Time 11:59 PM. BE SURE TO ENTER YOUR RECURRENCE ACCURATELY.
- Click on "Apply Recurrence"
- On the new page, click "Search" and click on the circle + button for the room you want. (Be careful not to select multiple rooms at this stage, every circle + button you click will add a room to be scheduled.)
- Specify the number of users (1), then click the "Next Step" button
- Fill out the required fields, entering YOUR NAME in the "Event Name" field, and click "Create Reservation."
Music majors will be emailed this information immediately prior to the beginning of the semester.