Maintaining Music Major Status
To maintain music major (pre-music major) status, a student must:
Earn a grade of B or higher in Individual Instruction Courses (primary instrument)
- Any semester grade in Individual Instruction lower than B may result in an extra semester of individual instruction being required
- If a second semester grade in Individual Instruction is lower than a B, this will result in expulsion from the major.
Complete all music major core and emphasis classes with a grade of C- or higher(excluding Individual Instruction Courses, see above)
- Any music major core or emphasis class in which a grade lower than C- is earned will not count towards graduation requirements.
- Core courses may be repeated ONCE only in an attempt to earn a grade of C- or better.
- If a grade lower than C- is earned in the second attempt, the student will be expelled from the major.
Maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA in all music classes that meet graduation requirements, and maintain a 2.75 cumulative GPA in all USU classes
- A student will be placed on departmental academic probation at the end of the first semester in which the minimum GPA requirement is not met.
- Any subsequent semester in which the student fails to meet these GPA minimums will result in expulsion from the music program, and the student will no longer be allowed to register for pre-music/music major courses.