USU Symphony Orchestra
The audition excerpts are from Stravinsky’s Firebird Suite (1919), which we will perform this fall. Please submit no later than August 1 video recordings showing your performance of the excerpts, according to the following directions:
- Practice/audition music is available here. The audition excerpts and performance tempi are marked in the music.
- Record VIDEOS that show you playing the excerpts. Excerpts recorded on audio only will not be accepted.
- Record all the excerpts listed for your instrument. Record one excerpt per video.
- Record each excerpt using a metronome. Set the metronome to the indicated tempo, and record the excerpt along with audible clicks of the metronome.
- Count all the rests in actual tempo.
- You may record each excerpt as many times as you want and submit the take you like the most.
- To submit the video recordings, please upload the videos on USU Box, Dropbox, or YouTube and send the links in an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org. If using YouTube, post your videos as “unlisted” - posting them as “private” will make them difficult to access.
- Arrange your video recordings in the same order of appearance as marked in the music. To do that, write “Excerpt 1, Excerpt 2”, etc., in your email message and add the respective link to each one of the excerpts.
- Strings: the parts have been bowed already; please follow the markings when recording the excerpts. In divisi passages, play the top part. Violins: please audition with either violin 1 or violin 2 as you feel technically comfortable or as specified by your instructor. If you can play both parts well, audition with the one you would prefer to play at the concert. I will do my best to accommodate your preference. In any event, there will be rotation between violin 1 and 2 for the other concerts. If you are interested in auditioning for CONCERTMASTER, please audition with the first violin part.
- Woodwinds / Brass: please audition with a part that is technically comfortable for you, or one specified by your instructor. If you can play more than one part well, audition with the one you would prefer to play in the concert. I will do my best to accommodate your preference. In any event, there will be room for rotation wherever applicable for the other concerts. Trumpets: please note that, even though The Firebird does not have 3rdtrumpet, other pieces we are performing do. If you are interested in specifically playing 3rd, please let me know about it and audition with the 1stor 2ndpart of the Stravinsky.
Let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to reviewing your auditions and will notify you of the results before the first rehearsal that will be on Tuesday, August 27.
USU Symphony Orchestra